In an increasingly global marketplace, international trade is an important part of business for many companies. However, engaging in international trade is subject to strict regulations, and violations can carry severe criminal and civil penalties. With numerous agencies charged with enforcement and different laws applicable in different countries, compliance and reporting are particularly complicated. Dickinson Wright’s international team is highly experienced in helping clients with customs and international trade issues in a variety of areas, including:
- Advising on import activities, including proper classification of merchandise, correct valuation, origin designation, consumer product safety, and regulatory restrictions and exemptions.
- Advising on export controls and compliance with regulatory restrictions, including the Export Administration Act, the Export Administration Regulations, the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations, among others.
- Counseling clients regarding customs compliance, customs fines, penalties, seizure, and customs and ITC investigations.
- Assisting clients regarding international trade restrictions, assessments and audits, ruling requests, and protesting and challenging of CBP decisions.
- Offering guidance on recordkeeping, reporting obligations, and strategies to avoid sanctions.
- Advising on NAFTA and other preferential trade agreements and the negotiation of export control-compliant trade agreements.
- Advising on international transactions and treaty compliance issues, including sanctions, embargos, the FCPA, anti-boycott regulations, and anti-money laundering.